Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default OT Who is "SID" and why has my bank card stopped working

On 22 July, 17:04, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Harry Stottle" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. com...
I tried to withdraw some money from a cash point on Saturday and again on
Sunday. I assumed that the cash machine was empty when I failed to get any
money. I tried again today and *"Unauthorised access" was displayed on the
screen. I then phoned the bank and just before my mobile phone battery
died I was told that "SID" was in place.

Any ideas on what a "SID" is? The bank is now shut and I cannot call them
back until the morning.

Suspicious incident detected?

Correct.

I spoke to the suspicious incidence dept this morning.

The be all and end all is that I took the maximum daily limit out on Monday,
Tuesday and Wedsnesday.

The computer automatically stopped the card on Thursday.

No phone calls or letters from SID. And all I had to do to get the card
working was tell the droid on the other end of the phone my address, DOB,
bank account no and (this is the best security question ever) how much is in
my bank account. Considering that I had checked the balance on Wednesday I
thought that was a brilliant question to ask.

I am a bit ****ed off that the bank did not phone or email me. They have got
all my details in their system.

Adam.

I had the same kind of crap from HSBC at one time. They had a policy
of calling to check, but then dropped that for just putting a card
block on and seemingly doing nothing until the customer calls up to
find out what the hell is going on. On about the fifth occasion of
having my card blocked with no warning and no attempt to contact me,
and getting inflexible nonsense from scripted call centre staff, I
called the switchboard at the Canary Wharf HQ and asked who was in
charge of their card security systems. They wouldn't put me through,
but I was pleasantly surprised to get a call back from a very pleasant
woman who promised to change the settings and gave me £50 for the
inconvenience. It hasn't happened since (must be about 3 years).