Posted to alt.home.repair
Observer Observer is offline

Default Circuit breakers and breaker box

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:51:45 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Observer" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:30:43 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:47:17 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 7/20/2009 5:11 PM spake thus:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:44:25 -0500, Observer wrote:

I had a electrician install a new breaker box on the outside of my
house where the old one was. The install was done Friday and
yesterday, Sunday (house is vacant) I found the main breaker tripped
and loose (I think off it's track). I called the electrician back
Monday and he was very prompt to fix it but I was not there when he
did. When I came to inspect it later the same day, I found that the
main circuit breaker was firmly in place and on but in the middle of
the breaker (main breaker looks like 2 breakers side by side with one
lever) was a screw and washer tightened to it in the space between the
two breaker as if it was assisting to keep the breaker in it's present
position.

That is the way some brands work (Cutler Hammer for one).
The screw is the legal hold down

Sorry, but this
(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676626...839537/sizes/o) just
looks wrong and jury-rigged to me, and I would also be concerned about
the screw and washer cracking the face of the breaker.

If the breakers aren't securely attached to the bus without adding
hardware, isn't there something wrong with either this particular panel
or with the design of the damn thing?

I wouldn't want this sucker outside my house.

That is the way those breakers are supposed to work and the hold down
is required by code for one that is back fed like that

I agree, it looks perfectly legitimate to me

You guys must know what you are talking about. I debated about
calling the electrician's company but did so a little while ago. I
asked about the screw and he said it was required by code to prevent
taking out the main breaker without taking out the screw first. Maybe
that explains the notches in the sides of the breaker tho it doesn't
explain why it wasn't there in the first place. Oh well I'll assume
the three of you are correct and just let it go. Thanks for the reply
to both of you.

It's probably a convertible panel which can be used as a main breaker
panel with the proper main breaker and hold down screw. They probably just
neglected to install the screw. This can be verified if you give us the make
and model of the panel

Here are some more pics I took this morning beginning with the name
7.22.09 for this panel. Sorry if the pics aren't the greatest for the
paper on the inside of the door. If you look at the circuit breakers
with 150% magnification tho, I think it reads nicely.

Just curious, would it have been a big deal if they didn't install
this screw per code? I mean would it have made the panel not to code
just because of a neglected screw?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36766263@N04/

Last, thanks to all for your replies.