Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
FatBytestard FatBytestard is offline

Default UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:19:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Since
we print around 5 times a week, the standby current matters more than the
max draw, but I would not want to plug it into a UPS.

Geoff.

If all you print is 5 times a week, and idle current matters that much,
burning a few calories by forcing anyone wanting to do a print job to
walk over and turn on the printer's main switch (zero idle current) and
wait a few minutes for the printer to boot up to its ready point would be
the right way to go.

Then again, it matters not what printer you buy, and you can plug it in
directly since you do not need "protection" for a device you only use 5
times a week, which has no need to be plugged into a UPS to begin with.
Any normal power strip would protect it, and many have RJ45 network
isolation ports as well. If you are using the USB interface, it IS 100%
plug and play and would not need to be plugged in until runtime either.