Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default First appearance of lead-free solder inside electronic equipment in Europe?

"alchazz" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:11:36 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Japan passed the Electric Appliance Recycling Law, April 2001, does
that set the earliest date possible ?

eg
http://www.japanfs.org/en/pages/011541.html "The soldering on every
aspect of Sony's DCR-TRV 30 digital camcorder, released in March 2001,
is 99.7% lead-free, including all supplied accessories. "

presumably only one production line and stocking regime, so for both
export and domestic use

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair
briefs , schematics/manuals list on

Have manufacturers standardized the lead-free solder used? Is there a
common lead-free repair solder? How does one determine what type of LF
solder to be used?

Yikes,what a mess.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No standardisation as far as I'm aware Jim, but it's all much of a
muchness. After a great deal of experimentation with lead frees for
repair purposes, I finally settled on Ersin 309 from Multicore. With the
temperature of your iron jacked up about 15 - 20 degrees C, it behaves
reasonably similarly to leaded solder. Some people I know swear by lead
free that's got a touch of silver in it, but it's quite a bit more
expensive, and to date, I haven't had any problems getting the '309 to
'stick'.

Choosing a solder is, I think, largely a matter of personal preference.
The only recommendations that I've seen is that leaded and non leaded
shouldn't be mixed in the same joint, as it can lead to long term
degradation of the joint's integrity. To that end, it's important to
look for the slashed out Pb symbol or the letters "PbF" on the board, or
learn to recognise a lead-free joint (not hard as they all look like
cold bad joints) on boards that are not marked.

You are right. The whole thing is a bloody mess, as is the entire
subject of recycling and waste management in electronics service. When I
have time, I have a slightly off-topic thread to start on a specific
angle of this, that came to my attention last week ...

Arfa

It seems to me that the history majors have wormed their way into gov't
and bureaucracy. Their knee jerk reactions to "poisons" is crippling our
economies. Everything is poisonous if it is in the wrong place at the
wrong time. A pint of water can kill you also.

Al

I've certainly got no argument with any of your points there. The word I
coined for this whole sorry mess is "ecobollox", and the people behind it,
"The Green Mist Brigade" ...

Arfa