Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Who is "SID" and why has my bank card stopped working

Doki wrote:

Harry Stottle wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...
I tried to withdraw some money from a cash point on Saturday and
again on Sunday. I assumed that the cash machine was empty when I
failed to get any money. I tried again today and "Unauthorised
access" was displayed on the screen. I then phoned the bank and just
before my mobile phone battery died I was told that "SID" was in place.

Any ideas on what a "SID" is? The bank is now shut and I cannot call
them back until the morning.

Suspicious incident detected?

Yup. Its something like that.

Same thing happened to me when I decided to clear a bunch of BT bills
and so on online using my card. After two, it froze the account. I
phoned up and they reset something, and I had to go into my own banks
ATM'sd and reset the PIN to the same as it was.

They said that the commonest use of cards that are skimmed is to do
online purchases. I said that was a bit stupid if someone paid their
own traceable BT bill with someone's nicked credit card..

A load of easily traceable stuff was paid for by whoever nicked my card
details a while back. I got the impression that the bank wouldn't be
following things up at all.

The police will though.