Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What voltage for 18 inch satellite dishes?

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:12:58 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

If you just have the antenna itself and nothing else you may not have
enough of it to work.

It turns out you're right on. And thank you for posting the .jpg
file for the TV-42 in another post.

To make a long story short, I found printed matter, a manual for the
44 and sort of an ad for the 42 clip-on and neither gave a voltage,
but one gave a phone number to call for Terk, so I did, and they
didn't keep me waiting more than a minute or two, and the technician
said my thing, the TV-42 you found the picture of, won't work without
a dish. Just like you suspected.

I asked him if there was a way around it and he seemed truly sorry to
tell me no. So I guess there isn't. But now that I've had 4 hours
to think about it, I don't understand why not.

I re-ordered your post:
Your free antenna was designed to use the Sat feedline to not only
power it

Okay

but to also transfer the broadcast signal to either a Multi
Switch with an antenna output or a splitter provided by the antenna
manufacturer.

A multi-switch with an antenna output? Can't I just use one or the
other of the two connectors labeled Output, and connect that to a
digital tv or a digital converter box?

Does the power for the amp come in through one of the Input
connectors? If so, I could run a second co-ax line to power the amp.

In addition to the TV-44 and TV-42, I found the HD-TVo, (which is a
stand-alone antenna, that looks like the other two but it has a
sword-like or Xmas-tree-like looking thing in the center. )
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...4170&langId=-1

I downloaded the manual twice. Both copies kept crashing Adobe Reader
9, but I was able instead to display it in a browser window, using PDF
Download, a Firefox Add-on.

The HD-TVo comes with a "Power Injector with 110v AC to DC power
adapter"; but it doesn't say what the DC voltage is. That's when I
decided to call Terk. He said 12 volts, center pin positive, which was
in the range you gave. But then I asked about the TV-42, and he said
it won't work alone.

BTW, somewhere I came across instructions for the whole dish including
the power supply, and just like you said, Jeff, it was 13v for one
half and 18v for the other half. That's so strange to me, but please
don't anyone waste his time trying to explain it to me.

My old Multi Switch had an antenna output IIRC. This
would block standard brodcast frequencies with the downlink, control
signals and voltages from your set.

My tv set? If I'm not using, don't need a Multi Switch, would there
be anything to block the standard broadcast frequencies?

I could spend 80 dollars and buy a new one, complete with a bracket
and a power supply and that thing they call the power injector**, but
that's not the point. I love trying to make things work.

**I think I have an old power injector, but I suppose I can make one
if I have to.

What brand/model is it?

Terk TV-42. There is also a TV-44 but it has 4 pairs of In and
Out coax connectors.

Thanks a lot.