Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Clutch Master Cylinders

Pete C. wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
No grinding or anything, just continual clutch no-release problems.
Clutch replaced once, coaxial slave cylinder replaced another time, MCs
replaced like four times. Never had a problem with clutch slip, only
failure to release.

Now that I have a new truck, I'm getting ready to pull the clutch on the
old one myself and see if I can fix it for good. This truck also ate
rear axle seals until I got into it. Axles seals replaced under warranty
several times, when they went again out of warranty I replaced them
myself and haven't had a problem since (195k+ now).

Step down and no release?

Yep, makes it kinds difficult to shift. Bit of a problem when you need
to stop as well.

If you step down a second time does it release
then?

Nope, pump it a half dozen times and you might get it to release enough
to shift with a clunk. Doesn't do it all the time either, can be working
just fine then start acting up.

I have no good way to monitor it for testing, but I suspect the MC
reservoir valve isn't sealing well allowing some of the stroke output to
simply go back to the reservoir.

I expect I could fabricate a better MC setup and add a bit more
displacement as well since I've always felt it bordered on not enough
displacement.

How are you bleeding the system? The preferred method is to pull a
vacuum on the top of the reservoir and drawing out any air.

When you pump the pedal is the effort different than when the clutch
does work?

It almost has to be on the top if your not using any fluid.
Perhaps pull the master and see what the bore looks like, it almost
sounds like the piston seals are bypassing fluid.

--
Steve W.