Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default [thanks to replies - update ] self-defrosting refridgerator freezing up ?

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:21:52 -0400, "robb" wrote:

"robb" wrote in message
om...
my self-defrosting (Fridgedair - upright and side by side)
fridge is freezing up on a weekly cycle. If i defrost the
**cooling coils** in the freezer manually on Monday the coils

are
frozen/frosted up by the following Monday... essentially

blocking
the cold air from going to the refridgerator side.
When i manually defrosted i measured the resistance of the

heater
element going around the cooling coils at 19.2 Ohms ?
What could be possible conditions to cause such a problem ?
what sort of components or actions should i be doing to repair

Thanks to all the responses, I appreciate your time and help.

I found the Defrost Timer under a panel inside the refridgerator
and there was a manual advance access hole to advance the timer
to the defrost mode.

I tried advancing the timer to defrost, the refridgerator
shutdown but the defroster did not appear to turn on as you can
just see it (feel it) through a vent in the back of the freezer
section. It never got warm/hot and the refridgerator would turn
back on after about 10-15 minutes.

I removed the timer and tested the contacts and it seemed to be
functioning as expected. That is, it shift a common contact from
one pole to another pole as you manually cycle the timer.

I removed the evaporator coil cover to check for power to the
defroster/heater. I cycled the timer and no power.

I pulled and tested the defrost thermostat and it was not giving
very good resistance readings it was bouncing all over from 300 K
to 3.4 M-Ohms. ? it never really settled and that was when it was
cold at 14 F or warm at 90 F

So, i guess it is a Defrost Thermostat problem.

I will order one and replace , hopefully that is the trouble.

Thanks to all for the help.
robb

Cool, figured that was the failure.