Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_35_] Bob[_35_] is offline

Default Air Conditioner cycles off after 3 to 5 minutes---needtroubleshooting help

Fixed !!!!

The replacement thermostat arrived after the 4th of July holiday. The
holes matched exactly and the part went in easily. So far my air
conditioner works just fine. Of course, now it has been unusually
cool and I haven't really needed it.

I'm a little late posting this note....and thanking everyone....right
after I fixed the air conditioner I had a computer meltdown and was
off the air for several days. Today everything at my home is working
fine including the computer. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Bob

On Jun 29, 3:26*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I sense, strongly, that you're going to fix it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message

I removed the jumper from the thermostat and repositioned
the tube at
some distance from the cold coils and fins.

Theaircondiioner ran about three minutes and cycled off.
I guess
I've pretty well proven that the thermostat is bad.

I just ordered the universal replacement by phoning the 800
number in
the website I mentioned several posts back. *They said
they'd get it
out yet today by UPS ground. *I ought to see it by Thursday
or Friday.
(Is Friday, July 3, a UPS holiday?)

With any luck my next posting on this site will say I didn't
have to
drill any holes and everything is fixed.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone here for all the help.
Assuming that
this fixes the problem, I'm glad I didn't try to get some
one to make
a service call, or, worse yet, toss my unit in the dump and
buy a new
one.

Bob