Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Are Dovetail Joints becoming a thing of the past?

"Tanus" wrote in message ...

I'm doing a follow up to my own post. While my dovetails are now passable,
it was not without a certain amount of pain getting there. I made a vow to
make a set each day for 30 days and document how each one didn't measure
up until I got it right. I made it til about 15 days, and then real life
interrupted. Tage Frid taught a trick of using veneer to cover up mistakes
(his example was one piece of veneer for 4 gazillion dovetails - I ended
up using 14 pieces for 14 joints)

I've also had wood split when I was a bit too judicious in driving the
joints home with a mallet.

I once made pins for both sides of a joint (Gawd, don't ask me how I
managed that)

I've overcut and undercut, and made the tails too wide. I've made SURE
that one side of the board was to be outside and then cut pins that meant
that side had to face inside.

I've forgotten about glue squeeze-out on the inside of a joint until it
was the hardness of dried concrete and impossible to reach without a team
of ants with scary-sharp (*™) micro chisels (available from Lee Valley at
$98/set)

Damn. After reviewing all those little issues, that Akeda is starting to
sound pretty good. How can I get one again?

Tanus

LOL. thanks for the laugh!