Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Clutch Master Cylinders

Tim Wescott wrote:
My _first_ question is: are all clutch master cylinders created equal?

So I'm planning on finding the correct Camero clutch slave cylinder parts
that'll just bolt onto the bellhousing, but that leaves me with needing
to get the master cylinder mounted onto the firewall. I already know
it'll be a bitch; I'm planning on getting all of the Camero parts I can
(both pushrods, both cylinders, even bolts and tubing if I can). But if
the Camero master cylinder just won't fit, how much leeway do I have in
finding something that will? Do I get just any old thing? Is there an
interchange book that's accessible? Are different master cylinders with
different bores readily available, and how much can I compensate for
differing pedal-to-pushrod mechanical advantages by changing the master
cylinder bore? Are there any other differences I need to know (surely
there are some valving issues -- anything else?).

Tim, that's about as simple a hydraulic project as there is.
The pressures are laughable. The only real consideration is whether the
volume of the MC is sufficient to move your slave piston the required
distance.
There are dozens of of clutch master cylinders available in the
aftermarket hot-rod catalogs. I'd bet money you aren't the first one
to do this exact project.
Persoanlly, I'd call Craig Taylor at Taylor Engineering in Dallas.
Nice guy, very helpful, and I bet he can tell you exactly what you
need off the top of his head.