Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default generator capable of emergency power to small freezer as well as tools on the allotment etc

drugs began to take hold. I remember Allthumbs
saying something like:

this whistled over my head with a big WHOOSH, anyone know if the
example generator is likely to be powerful enough?

Hmmm... probably. The fridge/freezer motor takes a belt of current on
startup, but the genset alternator will withstand overload in the very
short term, happily, it's long enough to cope with a fridge starting up.
What I do when the standby genny is tiny like that, is just switch off
the fridge for a few hours and keep the door shut. If I need to keep the
temp down, I turn everything else off and let the fridge run for a
while. I have a chest freezer, so it can remain powerless for ages.