Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Childhood DIY experiments

Mr Benn wibbled:

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yup it was NI3 - I thought that is what we were talking about - did not
see the ref to NCl3....

Iodine crystals soaked in a beaker of ammonia for a bit, and then dumped
into a funnel with a filter paper to reclaim the ammonia.

I've always wanted to do that - but AFAIK you need fairly strong ammonia
which I don't have easy access to...

You can still buy concentrated ammonia in some hardware stores. I have a
feeling Robert Dyas still sell it. For the iodine crystals, you'd have to
obtain them from tincture of iodine and allow the alcohol to evaporate.

Ooh...

no further comment