Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Setting a programmable thermostat

bud-- wrote:

dpb wrote:
bud-- wrote:
The only hybrid I have read very detailed info on is the Prius. The
EPA mileage is 48 city, 45 highway (EPA gives an idea what mileage is
like). Consumer Reports *tests* had a higher highway mileage than city
with 44mpg overall.

That doesn't make much (any?) sense; that "overall" is lower than either
EPA...

I agree with Pete. EPA is not noted for exactly representing reality. A
couple years(?) back the EPA formula was changed to better represent
reality. It also depends on what the assumptions are for what 'normal'
driving is.

The Prius gets high highway mileage because:
- I has a relatively small engine. ...

and it's driving a toy.

It is not particularly small. A lot of cars have similar space inside
(or less). My kid and his wife have a couple cars and the space is
similar. It is a hatchback which increases cargo volume over a regular
car. Acceleration is reasonable. I think the 2010 Prius model is a
little larger (with higher gas mileage).

What mileage driven would it take to even break even $-wise, what more
come out ahead irrespective of the comfort factor???

Consumer Reports recently rated one of the Prius models as lowest cost
to own. It was based on purchase price, resale price, cost to operate,
insurance (I may have missed some factors).

That bit about resale price is where most all of these attempts to
calculate a TCO for these vehicles fall flat. I have never resold a
vehicle, I operate them and maintain them for a long service life. The
TCO claims for the hybrids may be reasonable for people who replace
their vehicles every few years, but they do not represent an accurate
TCO for those of us who expect 10 years or better service life from a
vehicle.