Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Repair decaying wooden gutter

On Jul 15, 10:01*pm, blueman wrote:
We have some "architectual" wooden gutters, a portion of which is
decaying/rotting from the inside.

Since the decaying run is only about 6 feet long and since replacing
it would be very expensive, I am looking to repair it.

I am considering the following but am very open to feedback and/or new
or better ideas.

1. Wash out the accumulated dirt and decayed leaves from the gutter
* *[done]. Let dry.
2. Scrape away the worst of the rotted wood (I hope that I don't have
* *to be too aggressive here)
3. Use RotFix (a low viscosity epoxy) to solidfy the remaining wood
* *including the semi-rotted areas that I don't remove [supposedly
* *RotFix is pretty tolerant here]
4. Use SculptWood (a wood like epoxy that you shape like putty) to
* *fill major gouges and holes
5. Coat the entire inside gutter with System3 epoxy
* *- Not sure what faring I should use if any
* *- Wondering also whether I should consider embedding a
* * *fiberglass-like layer in the epoxy (if so, what type should I
* * *use)?
6. Seal any remaining joints with standard gutter caulk

I would think that an approach like the above would make the gutters
last at least another 100 years while doing nothing to disrupt the
exterior look.

Any comments?

When the wood gutters on the old library went beyound repair a local
handy man made new ones. It really wasnt very difficult to do but
require a table saw. The part that I thought would be the most
difficult was cuttiing the trough but that was actually very easy and
the guy let me do it(I was about 15 at the time). We feed the wood
diagonal across the blade of the table saw starting with the blade
barely above the surface of the table and raising it a little on each
pass. Im 56 now and the old library has been replaced but until about
10 years ago I really enjoyed riding by and seeing those gutters I
helped build. Every kid should have a chance to do something good that
they can remember for the rest of their life.

Jimmie