Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Suggestions for alternative well water treatment?

On Jul 18, 6:24*am, "Evelyn" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"bobmct" wrote in message
.. .
Living in east central CT I have both a deep well and a septic system.
Many decades ago I had my water analyzed which showed considerable
levels of iron in it. *As a result I had installed an "exchange tank"
that each month has to have a vendor come in and exchange the tank
with another containing new chemicals. * *I am assuming the chemicals
might be a salt based substance (just a guess).

The cost of this service has gone up and up over the past decades to
the point where I am looking for an alternative that "might" be less
dependent on an outside vendor and hopefully less expensive to
support. *BTW - I also have a whole house odor filter that I replace
every couple of months.

From those of you with similar water issues, what have you done to
solve the iron and/or odor problems on your systems? * Remember, I
believe I'm not supposed to backwash a treatment/softener system into
the septic (so I'm told).

All suggestions/recommendations/ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Bob

I'd get the water tested again, preferably by a different vendor. *You may
be getting the filter changed to often and the only way to know is to
test.

Start by reading here
http://www.excelwater.com/eng/b2c/iron.php
Then click on the link about filters. *Unless you know the concentration
you can't really make a good decision for the best treatment.

We have huge amounts of both kinds of iron in our water and we have quite a
system for getting it out. * The water combines with chlorine bleach at
first, then it goes into a huge tank where the iron falls to the bottom
(where it can be drained off into a drain from time to time). * *It is also
combined with a flocking agent to get rid of the colloidal iron.... (the
only way to get rid of it) at the same time as the chlorine. * It then goes
into a neutralizer tank (limestone) then through a carbon filter to remove
the bleach and other odors. * Then it goes through a pair of twin water
softeners and a particle filter.

It is a good system but it was put in place here long before we bought this
house by a previous owner. * We have had experts look it over, and the final
configuration was set up by Culligan. * It has been working beautifully ever
since Culligan redid it. * Before that we were getting ripped off regularly
by local plumbing companies who knew little about water purification
systems, but enough to get rich off us. * *The Culligan setup was expensive
too, but it has been a lot easier to maintain.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8- Hide quoted text -

That sounds a lot like the systems I see in FLl for removing iron and
sulphur. my in laws had one of those, chlorinate, aerate and filter.
They also had problem with sand. My father in law built a serpentine
trap made of 3 inch PVC sewr pipe. The water would slow down enough
from entering the large pipe for the sand to settle out in the bottom
of the Ss There was a valve at the bottom of each S for flushing.
There were two of these "filters" coming off the well, one going to
the pressure tank to reduce the sand that got into it and one going to
the rest of the filtration system.