Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Does anyone know the failure mechanism of an induction fan motor?

Gnack Nol wrote:
The problem you are describing sounds more like failing pre oiled bronze
bearings. They loose the oil impregnation and then gall, re-oiling them
once they have galled and begun grinding has no effect.

I've been told that cooking the bearings & dunking them in light oil
fixes that, but I've never actually tried it myself, so YMMV.

Another trick with worn phosphor-bronze bearings is to build up the
bronze with a coating of solder, which has worked well for me when it
hasn't been possible to replace the bearing.