Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Does anyone know the failure mechanism of an induction fan motor?Also HP printer lube

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I do some HP LaserJet printer repairs. The older models (LJII, LJIII
and LJ4) required some grease on the drive gears and a few metal gears
on shafts. When needed, I used lithium white auto grease, which is
probably not the right stuff, but worked well.

White lithium grease is fine for those parts. That's what Canon use
themselves for that purpose.

However, all the other
nylon gears were self lubricating. The best way to make a huge mess
was to lube all the gears. I'm not 100.0% sure, but I believe that
current HP printers (LJ42xx, 43xx, etc) do not require any
lubrication. I sometimes use "rubber restorer" on the paper feed
rollers, but only if the paper is slipping and I don't have a
replacement roller or foot.

I use acetone (or nail-polish remover) to take the 'shine' off paper
rollers, which gives you years more life out of them. It's also good for
the separation pad in the paper pickup assembly for laser printers & the
document pickup assembly in faxes.