Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Bearing Noise Bronze Oilite Growling Chatter Rattle

In article ,
"newshound" wrote:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I remember a discussion quite a while ago in RCM, and a term being
mentioned that is the name for this condition, but I can't remember it (or
find it in my saved posts).

When the bearing and or shaft contact surfaces get to a point of wear, the
shaft no longer spins around it's center axis, but instead, starts this
chatter as it rattles it's way around the inside circumference of the
bearing.

Hopefully, someone will know this term, Thanks,

--
WB
metalworking projects

In a genuine hydrodynamic bearing there's an instability known as oil whirl.
If it's chatter or rattling as the shaft bounces round a large clearance I
think I would call it just that. It might be associated with a resonance.

I recall it as oil swirl, but it's the same thing.

Joe Gwinn