Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default John Deere Mower

LouB wrote:
dpb wrote:
clouddreamer wrote:
I have had a JD ride on mower for a year now (LA165 I believe) and
find that every time I go to start it, the battery is dead or nearly
dead. Surely, this is not normal. Any idea what the problem could
be?

A) Many small engine batteries just don't last more than about a
year ime. B) Is charging system working properly; electrolyte level
correct,

C) Perhaps you have a leakage path causing discharge.

Will a regular auto battery charger work in my gas golf cart, which I
figure has a similar motor? Cart was built in 1987.

Sure. You just have to match the voltage (a 12v charger on a 6v battery is
not good - likewise a 12v charger on a 24v system).