Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default OT- NJ Police state

rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 20, 3:13 pm, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 03:23:21 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

If you
please, what is the violent crime data for same period for Fridley,
MN?
2005 -- 446 violent crimes/100k people.

Wow! That surprises me. Perhaps I feel safer than I should. No
sarcasm here, I really am surprised at that number for Fridley.

What those numbers don't show is hoe many of those violent crimes were
committed by family members or "friends." I expect that the number is
significant.

I don't pack a pistol while mowing and my neighbors don't either as
far as I know. If they did, it wouldn't worry me. I have good
neighbors. I think they'd say the same. Funny how that works.
OK, but I think what's struck rangerssuck and me is not the likelihood that
those people are all nuts...it's the fact that you *wouldn't* think they
could be nuts. That reflects a serious cultural difference. g Here, we
can't do it legally, but if someone had a permit and did carry a pistol
while mowing the lawn, most of us probably would think he was nuts.

Hm. That is indeed a cultural difference. I do know one guy (in a
different state) who carries (concealed) while mowing -- and about
any time he's awake including at home. He is a very bright man,
definitely not nuts, a very personable guy and a good friend.

I guess so. It simply isn't done around here. I've never given a
thought to whether it's legal or not, it's just something we NEVER
see. Even my backyard neighbor, who's a cop, doesn't carry a gun when
he's mowing his lawn (or if he does, it's incredibly small and well
concealed under shorts and a t-shirt).

I'd also add that if you live in a place where you feel the need to be
armed while in your own yard, maybe you need to think about living
somewhere else.

Until they catch this nutcase, at least, I'd carry something light while on
your hikes, even if he isn't in your neighborhood. My pants have enough
trouble staying up as it is, with cell phone, pocket knife, keys, wallet,
insulin pump, and change, so the .45 and the Colt Officer's Model .38 Spl.
are out. d8-)

I know exactly what you mean about stuff and pants. I guess maybe I
will start carrying a cellphone and a lightweight pocket .380 on my
hikes. I don't usually carry either but I guess it can't hurt. 446
per 100K per year is a considerably larger number than I would have
expected here, and certainly far more than one in a million nutcase
events.

I live in a very low crime area, older homes on an acre or more. No
through traffic. People walking down the street are noticed.

But I admit to carrying a small pistol most of the time around the house
and especially while outside. Fact is, there exists random violence and
people who will ruin your day without any remorse. there are also a trio
of pit bulls in the next yard, and they are known to get out and attack
(so far) livestock. I realize the odds are very much against me ever or
my wife being attacked on our property, but why not be prepared, when it
takes so little effort?