Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Insulating effect of carpet vs linoleum.

Kevin wrote:
bob haller wrote:

carpet will feel warmer but, in a non AC space it may develop a odor
/ mold. from presence of excess moisture

I do have heat in that area. As part of this project, I installed two
new heaters, one for each level, but I only installed a/c for the
upper level.

Carpet certainly does have a percieved warmer feel,

Because the warm in your feet isn't being sucked out by the slab. They are
being *INSULATED*.

but my question
is, will the moderating effect that masonry has on actual temperature
and rate of temperature change, be negated by installing carpet.

Negated? Who knows. Affected? Yes. Carpets and rugs insulate. So does
any padding.

How much? Depends on the material, thickness and type of the carpet and
padding. Big difference between glued to slab, skimpy, low pile commercial
carpet and a densely woven, high pile wool carpet on a thick foam pad.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...