Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Insulating effect of carpet vs linoleum.

Kevin wrote:
I an getting near the point of having to decide what type of flooring to
install on the concrete slab in my basement addition. Ignoring for the
moment other considerations such as durability, I'm wondering about the
'heat sink' effect of the slab, and whether carpeting will have an effect. I
seem to recall that at the time the Title 24 calcs were done, being told
that an exposed slab, would have a positive effect on the calcs, but a
carpeted floor wouldn't figure into the equation.

This addition is in the half of the basement area that wasn't already a
finished room. The pre-existing half does have carpet, and in the hot weather
we are currently experiencing, I'm noticing that the new room does stay
cooler than the pre-existing room.... (I don't have a/c for the lower half
of the house). I would like to keep it that way, and
am wondering if carpeting will have a noticable effect. My alternative to
carpet would be real linoleum, which I'm assuming would have a very limited,
insulating effect.

Would appreciate any comments, especially from those who do title 24 calcs
for a living.

TIA
Kevin

Hi,
My house has fully developed basement with proper heat/cooling duct work
and gas fire place. Floor is think rubber underlayed carpet. Even in
winter(temp. ~-30). it is pretty cozy down there.