Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default What causes air in water pipes?

YvonneD wrote:
On Jul 18, 12:38 pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:28 pm, YvonneD wrote:

No, the water is not hotter than usual. In fact I was thinking of
asking them to set the temp higher when they come.
Also, it is not well water. I use Town water.-

Air in water lines that are on city water can be a common occurence,
especially if you are at the end of the main line. When the pumps
loose power due to an electrical outage, or other reason, air is
produced thru what is called "cavitation" in the pumps volute. If this
is the case, there is not much you can due about it, other than
contacting your water company and see if they can (or are willing) to
either reduce the pressure slightly or take other measures. They way
want to know about your problem in order to maximize their delivery
and avoid other problems. Anyway, check with them before you call a
plumber.

Hank ~~~~ Sorry about your loss.

I live in a condo. There are four other units in my building. None
of them are having problems. This isn't just a little air, it's
enough to make the pipes rattle.

It you get it at hot and cold taps, it sounds as if air is getting into
municipal pipe. It can happen when hydrants are flushed or pipes are
repaired. I don't know how it would get in every day.

Perhaps bubbles smaller than peas travel along the municipal pipe, and
the slope guides them to your condo and not others. When your cold tap
in the kitchen is off, just enough air collects to make a small pop when
you turn it on. When the water is flowing, the bubbles are too small to
pop.

In the water heater, the little bubbles would rise to the top and enter
the outlet as a larger bubble. That would explain why you hear big pops
while the hot water flows.

If the problem starts with little bubbles in the municipal main, I don't
know what would cause those bubbles.