Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What voltage for 18 inch satellite dishes?

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:49:48 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:58:10 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:27:05 -0400, mm wrote:
What voltage is meant to be used by 18 inch satellite dishes?

AC or DC?

I found a satellite antenna in the trash, and I dont have satellite,
but I saved the clip-on VHF/UHF antenna that goes around the edge. It

Dishes are passive devices; they are not powered by anything but incoming
RF
energy.

Items sold as dishes include amplifers.

A good start would be to learn the difference between a dish,
LNB, and receiver.

A good start on what?

I'm not really interested in an electronics lesson. I just want to
know what voltage would power the amplifier on the VHF/UHF antenna
that surrounds the dish. The manual says it uses the same voltage
that dish does, or something like that. Maybe you can write the
manual's author.

I'll go with one of the helpful answers.

In order to get helpful answers, you first need to have a little respect for
the people who are trying to guide you.

I have great respect for and gratitude to the people who are trying to
help or guide me. I don't believe the previous poster was.

OTOH, two posters gave me helpful answers. One was simple, and much of
the other was above me, but it was still quite helpful. Thank you,
both.

Your question doesn't even relate to
any kind of "repair" - read the name of the group, so you are doing well to
elicit any kind of sensible responses at all. If you are not interested in
learning in order to help yourself to arrive at answers, why should we waste
our time doing your research for you ? I would suggest that you try 110v AC
"or something like that".

I don't remember how the manual phrased it, but it said it used the
OTA antenna, that is the amplifier, used the same voltage as the dish,
an 18 inch dish used either for Dish network or Direct TV, probably
the first one.

If it works, you won't need to ask any more, and
if it doesn't, you may learn a valuable lesson in both electronics, and life

I already know that lesson, and I didn't have to burn anything out to
learn it.

Arfa