Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default OT- NJ Police state

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:02:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:10:37 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

c) none of this would make me any happier about seeing my neighbor
mowing his lawn while carrying a .45, but that's not happening any
time soon in NJ.

Happens all the time where I live.

The idea of people mowing their lawns while packing pistols sounds bizarre,
but there is some basis for it in Gunner's case. Crime data (2006) for
Gunner's town shows 359 violent crimes/100k people, per year. For my town,
20 miles from Newark, NJ, the rate is 89/100k people. If we had four times
as much violent crime, I might expect to see some pressure for lawnmower
rifle scabbards. g

I don't know how you find data, Ed, but you're good at it! If you
please, what is the violent crime data for same period for Fridley,
MN? Also, what qualifies as violent crime? I'm not pulling your
chain here, I'd really like to know.

I don't pack a pistol while mowing and my neighbors don't either as
far as I know. If they did, it wouldn't worry me. I have good
neighbors. I think they'd say the same. Funny how that works.

I don't carry a sidearm when I walk my miles each day on the many nice
trails available to me here, but I begin to wonder if that's prudent.
To wit:
http://www.startribune.com/local/eas...nDaycUiacyKUUr

I don't live near the locale of this story but it got my attention.
I'm a senior of 67 years, not as strong as I once was (!) A chop to
my ICD (implanted cardiac defibrillator)that is just under the skin
near my left collar bone could stop my clock as well as a bullet or
blade thru the cardioticker.

I have the training, kit, proven skills and permit to carry if I
should choose to do so. I have not chosen to do so thus far as a
matter of convenience: I have enough trouble keeping my pants up
without weight in the pockets or IWB holsters or whatever truck. I am
not obese (I'd be dead if I was) but I'm not quite Clint Eastwood slim
either. Not yet anyway.

The question is moot in NJ but what would you do in my sit?