Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default OT - 4 ton Floor Jack - Maintenance?

"aemeijers" wrote in message
benick wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 4:00 pm, aemeijers wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 18, 11:34 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I just bought a 4 ton floor jack at a garage sale. It's very used,
but
the seller said it works fine.

I jacked my car and it's been holding for 30 minutes.

Is there any maintenance I should perform on it or are these things
essentially maintenance free?

Yes, I know: Don't rely on the jack itself, use jack stands.

Thanks!

Check it for leaks, broken or cracked parts, change the hydraulic
fluid, clean it up.
I have one that is at least 45 years old that my father had when he
ran a service station 45 years ago and he got it from the previous
owner. About 15 years ago I had it overhauled because it oozed oil
around the pump and cylinder.It needed new o rings and rubber pads on
the swing arms. It cost about $75 to repair and may last another 40 or
50 years. Wife hates it because it takes up too much room in the
garage, I love it because I can jack up one whole side of the car at a
time to rotate tires.

Jimmie

Plus it is like your old man is there helping you. Yeah, we all get it,
we really do. Most of us regulars and semi-regulars on here have a tool
or three like that.

--
aem sends...

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. $40...well worth it

Most of us regulars and semi-regulars on here have a tool or three
like that.

I still got my grandfather's favorite hammer. Between the 2 of us
we've replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice.

Best hammer we ever owned. g

Not to nit pick but if you replaced the handle AND head , how is it the
same hammer ????

He's riffing on the old vaudeville joke about George Washington's hatchet,
of cherry tree fame. As in how a con man was selling it to tourists as an
antique, and when they noticed how new it looked, he told them that the
head and handle had been replaced multiple times, but that it was the same
hatchet, really.

Both for hatchets and hammers, I have seen replacement handles. I have
never seen replacement heads.

--
aem sends...

LOL should've caught that...LOL....