Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Childhood DIY experiments

On 19 July, 20:52, Al wrote:
When I were a lad we barely had electricity

You had electricity?

Barely.

My school was so poor that we were told that *infinity* was some place in
Guildford.

A few other 'schoolboy' horrors:

We (that is a bunch of Neds and I of around age 11) used to like invading
the building site down the road. I once nearly got caught by the rozzers
while tightrope walking across the rafters in a 3 storey building (no
floors/ceilings in place). Falling would be certain death. The rozzers
never caught me though

We (that is a bunch of Neds and I of around age 11) also used to light
"camp fires" on building sites. We had (have!) a secret method of
contructing the fire. Usually involved any old bottle of oil, some rags,
some bricks, Swan Vesta's ...

Ah, Swan Vestas ... The deliquents delight! Can be 'struck' on anything.
The head can also be wrapped in a bit of foil to make cheap bangers As
for 'caps' ... The kiddy ones on a reel of paper or the bigboy ones in a
magazine of red plastic. That really sorted the men from the boys.

Gosh. Other stuff. The nitro made by a friend. The near drowning with the
home-made bridge ...

Kids today have no fun

After reading about all the stuff you used to do...I agree.

Al.