Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default Childhood DIY experiments

That's more like it. At school we made up lots of 13A plugs with the
live and neutral connected together and plugged them into various
sockets around the school at dinner time.

Ah, at my school they were too smart for that. They had a special 12VDC
main in the science labs with special plugs and sockets. Needless to say,
these were 'popped' on a daily basis.

We did not have RCD protection at my school.

When I were a lad we barely had electricity

When I was there (first year I think), someone in the higher years had bet
20 quid that he wouldn't swallow some Potassium Cyanide (yes, there really
was that sort of stuff in the chem lab store room). Someone took the bet
on. He swallowed it. He died. By the time I was doing 'interesting'
chemistry there was nothing remotely dangerous left. Benzine? Oh no,
cyclohexane ...

However, 20 molar acid was available for 6th form projects. Cutting a long
story short, some twit spilled 20 molar nitric all over the bench, which
started smoking. So he started wiping up the mess with the sleeve of his
lab coat, which started smoking ...

Ah, the fun we had - Sodium in water (and the bowl exploded!), nylon
filaments draped out of the chem lab window across the playing fields ...

Everything else was ****e of course. English? History? Nah thanks, I like
breaking stuff

Al.