Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Church deep cleaning (off topic)

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Later this year, the church is having a "deep cleaning"
project. I went to the one last year. Couple guys pushing a
vacuum cleaner, and several crews of people washing windows.
The carpets all got vacuumed several times, and the windows
got wiped several times.

Ideally, I'd like to have a list of church cleaning list of
things to do. Things which are useful, and actually make the
building and grounds cleaner. A google search provided a
bunch of calendar dates for other churches cleaning days.
But no good old fashioned task list.

What do you all suggest?

The ordinary cleaning tasks should be pretty obvious. What I would be
most concerned about in a building used by large numbers of people are
sanitation issues. Clean the kitchen, top to bottom, with strong
detergent to remove grease followed by wipe-down with bleach for
sanitation. Make sanitary cleaning regular. Hot enough water for
washing eating utensils? Smoke alarm? Fire extinguisher? First aid
kits? Thermostat and thermometer in the fridge are good? Stored food
is dated, kept in secure containers?

Upholstered seating should be deep cleaned and treated with insecticide
(for lice, bed-bugs, etc.) Hate to bring up stuff like that, but
nowadays they are bigger issues than in the past. Regular pest control
for the entire building - just routine termite inspection, check for
insects in food areas and nurseries.

Flu season coming - areas used by children should get special attention,
due to little ones nibbling on stuff they shouldn't, crawling on dirty
floors, etc. If there is a nursery, wipe down cribs and toys regularly.
Check cribs, chairs, changing tables for security; cribs for dangerous
old features that can trap little ones. Same with banisters.

Check entire facility for slip/fall hazards - loose flooring or
carpeting, insecure railings/banisters, poor lighting, slippery flooring
that becomes dangerous if water is tracked in. Adequate, open emergency
exits and signs? Weather radio? Wouldn't hurt to have FD do a walk-through.

CO and smoke alarms with audible AND visual signals. Emergency lights
in case of power failure?