Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Suggestions for alternative well water treatment?

Evelyn wrote:

"Hipupchuck" wrote in message
JimmyDahGeek wrote:
Neighbor across street has bottled water
I would imagine it would be cheaper to bring in
your own drinking water and leave your well untreated.

I buy bottle water for my cottage it's only .29 a gallon if I bring my
own bottle. It's great water and cheap. Wall Mart also has it and
it's .33 a gallon there. At my primary residence I have a water
softener that goes into the septic tank. It's been like that for 30
years. When I cleaned the tank last last year the cover of the tank
cracked. I was told this was from the softener.

I have a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water only.
It was inexpensive to install and cheap to maintain.

Only drawback to those is that they work best with strong water pressure, as
in city water. Well water usually doesn't have as much pressure. They
also work extremely well if you already have a water softener.

If you have a well system and add a RO filer, you can readily adjust the
system to operate at higher pressure. Well systems are normally set to
operate a a lower pressure and with a wider pressure differential
between pump turn on and off for economy to maximize the draw down
capacity of a small diaphragm tank, but they can readily operate at
higher pressures.