Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Weather station -- update

Red Green wrote:
dpb wrote in :

Red Green wrote:
Sidebar: We had a hell of a thunderstorm last night. Winds were up but
not that bad, like 25mph. ...

How can 25mph qualify as a "hell of a thunderstorm"????

Anything under 30 is just a gentle breeze...

--

So, you can't have a thunderstorm without wind huh? Yes, I saw your ":-)".

To that I respond you go hold on to my copper pipe mast during it. After
all, there is no thunderstorm! :-)

It's grounded, isn't it??? VBG Maybe you can tie a kite string to it
an see if can recreate Franklin???

Just reminded me of the TN/VA weather--saw more SLCs(1) that actually
did nothing and the occasional t-storm w/ associated 45mph(!) winds
would get written up in the paper as the mother of all storms...

Of course, 30-40 mph winds did more damage (particularly power
lines/outages) there than 70+ typically does here because of all the
trees and that they simply don't have the nearly continuous wind and
severe t-storms that keep all the weak stuff cleaned out much more
frequently/thoroughly.

Out here it's possible to have a mild t-storm that doesn't generate much
wind, but w/o all the hills and trees to break it up near the ground
there's typically a strong wind gust front associated w/ almost any
t-storm of any respectability. Did have a little sprinkle yesterday
afternoon training off an edge of a higher elevation jet stream that
rumbled quite a bit w/ only a minor surface breeze that convinced me to
quit working in the yard under the highest row of windbreak trees
around, though...

A moderately frequent occurrence in TN was cattle in pasture seeking
shelter under a tree being turned into steak-on-the-hoof...

(1) Scary-looking clouds...