Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Childhood DIY experiments

Tim S wrote:
brass monkey wibbled:

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
Harry Bloomfield wibbled:

The Medway Handyman expressed precisely :
We also made a paste from potassium permanganate & something else?
Glycerine!

That mix self ignites fairly quickly (10's seconds to minutes) - not a
contact explosive...

Contact bangers sound more like NI3 - but pot.mang isn't used to make
this AFAIK. Perhaps there's some extra fun to be had with pot.mang?

Wasn't it something like ammonium iodide? or something iodide.

NI3 = Nitrogen Tri-Iodide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_triiodide

You can make Nitrogen Tri-Cloride but that blows up pretty much as soon as
you make it, according to our chemistry teacher.

I remember a science teacher agreeing to show us how to make that on the
understanding that none was to leave the lab....

Anyway, some bstard pinched the 35mm film canister of it that I took out
of the lab! I did however find said can abandoned later - containing
only a tiny crumb left. I knocked that out onto the table tennis table a
forgot about it until a few hours later I was in the same room when
someone happened to wander past it and waft a bit of paper he was
carrying over it. There was a bang and puff of purple smoke, and a
rather surprised owner of a sheet of paper with a hole in it and a large
purple stain ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.