Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Childhood DIY experiments

R wrote:
Not experiments as such, but I remember making a weed-killer & sugar pipe
bomb, copper tube, small hole drilled in the centre, flattened one end in
Dads vice, filled with the mixture then flattened the other end in the
vice (I cringe when I think). A length of Jetex fuse (remember that?) into
the centre hole, light it and run like f**k. To this day I remember the
copper shrapnel flying over our heads. And bonfire nights, struth, my
mates dad owned a newsagents, he used to come out with oodles of bangers
and rockets, tie a few bangers to a rocket stick and wait for a likely
target. One night we managed to get a banger-rocket into the wooden hut of
a parking attendant at a local car park. Then there was the bangburst, in
someones entry (terraced houses) put maybe 10 bangers in a circle around
an empty bangersworth of powder, always lay a trail to banger #11 then
light the powder and yep, run like f**k. Kabam 10 times, followed by
footsteps down the entry, followed by kabam #11.
This was when a penny banger was worth a penny.
Hmmmm, I prolly should still be in jail
Then there was the time when, nah, scrub that.

Ditto............But used the pipe bombs up the local woods to blow up the
rubbish bins.

Progressed from bins to couples shagging in cars. Enormous fun chucking one
or two large "bands" of bangers next to a steamed up car and waiting for
someone to fall out shocked as **** and half naked, semi deaf and shouting
obscenities..
I suspect there were a few pregnancies avoided due to that little bit of
fun.

At age 10 or so I was convinced it was possible to light the touch paper
of a single banger in a box of assorted fireworks, and have time to
snuff it out before the whole lot went up. Wrong of course, but why I
carried out the experiment in the bedroom still eludes me. Pig headed
and stupid, a deadly combination.