Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Childhood DIY experiments

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
So what DIY experiments did you perform as a child? I know that one
regular poster deliberately electrocuted his sister.

Stupidest one? Half filled a jam jar with sodium chlorate and sugar
mixture, screwed the lid on good and tight and threw it into a bonfire.

The 'pop' was very quiet, but it took ages for all of the bits to fall to
the ground. I suspect some achieved orbit.

Remarkably I escaped injury.

Electrocuted myself a couple of times (when I got bored with explosives I
moved onto electronics). And once to my eternal shame I blew the circuit
breaker for an entire block of labs and offices while testing a new new
'invention'.

That's more like it. At school we made up lots of 13A plugs with the live
and neutral connected together and plugged them into various sockets around
the school at dinner time.

There were no fuses in the plugs as I owned a soldering iron. A few sockets
needed to be replaced.

Adam