Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default OT - 4 ton Floor Jack - Maintenance?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 4:00 pm, aemeijers wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 18, 11:34 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I just bought a 4 ton floor jack at a garage sale. It's very used, but
the seller said it works fine.

I jacked my car and it's been holding for 30 minutes.

Is there any maintenance I should perform on it or are these things
essentially maintenance free?

Yes, I know: Don't rely on the jack itself, use jack stands.

Thanks!

Check it for leaks, broken or cracked parts, change the hydraulic
fluid, clean it up.
I have one that is at least 45 years old that my father had when he
ran a service station 45 years ago and he got it from the previous
owner. About 15 years ago I had it overhauled because it oozed oil
around the pump and cylinder.It needed new o rings and rubber pads on
the swing arms. It cost about $75 to repair and may last another 40 or
50 years. Wife hates it because it takes up too much room in the
garage, I love it because I can jack up one whole side of the car at a
time to rotate tires.

Jimmie

Plus it is like your old man is there helping you. Yeah, we all get it,
we really do. Most of us regulars and semi-regulars on here have a tool
or three like that.

--
aem sends...

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. $40...well worth it

Most of us regulars and semi-regulars on here have a tool or three
like that.

I still got my grandfather's favorite hammer. Between the 2 of us
we've replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice.

Best hammer we ever owned. g

Not to nit pick but if you replaced the handle AND head , how is it the same
hammer ????