Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default wall anchor repair/replace help

wrote:
I had a problem similar to yours. After patching and replacing towel
rods umpteen times, I finally put up a board, screwed into studs, and
fastened the towel rods to the board. Problem solved. Another
solution, which you probably have considered, would be to buy rods of
suitable length to anchor both ends to studs.

I think most of us on here have BTDT at least once, towel bars being a
classic first venture into home DIY repair.

When SWMBO says the wood rail is too ugly (and she probably will), other
cure, if you can't find a suitable bar the right length to hit the
studs, is to sink the wood rail into the wall. Cut out a strip of
drywall across 3 studs, landing halfway on the end studs. Screw in a
wood patch, just like you were doing a drywall patch, and mud it into
the wall. Only fussy part is getting the paint job and texture to match
the field of the drywall.

Note for people doing a bathroom gut job or building new- this is a
great reason to put horizontal blocking between the studs everywhere you
think people may want to hang towel bars and such. Don't forget around
the tub enclosure, for the grab bars you or next owner will eventually
want to put there. Make sure to keep a digram of where the blocking is,
say on the inside of the access cover for the tub faucet, that you are
also including as part of the (re)construction.

--
aem sends...