Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What causes air in water pipes?

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:28?pm, YvonneD wrote:

No, the water is not hotter than usual. ?In fact I was thinking of
asking them to set the temp higher when they come.

Also, it is not well water. ?I use Town water.-

Air in water lines that are on city water can be a common occurence,
especially if you are at the end of the main line. When the pumps
loose power due to an electrical outage, or other reason, air is
produced thru what is called "cavitation" in the pumps volute. If this
is the case, there is not much you can due about it, other than
contacting your water company and see if they can (or are willing) to
either reduce the pressure slightly or take other measures. They way
want to know about your problem in order to maximize their delivery
and avoid other problems. Anyway, check with them before you call a
plumber.

Not too many, if any, municipal systems use pumps to supply the water mains.
They use pumps to fill gravity-fed tanks. This has several advantages:

* They can use a smaller pump and have it run when demand is low to get
ahead of the curve
* The water distribution system still works - for several days - if the
electricity goes off or the pump fails
* A gravity system maintains a constant and predictable pressure

I've got a relatively new water reservoir right down the street. It's 60' in
the air of course but the sucker is HUGE. The pole on which it stands is
round, concrete, and about 30' in diameter. The tank itself is also
concrete, about 60' in diameter and twenty feet high and must contain about
4.5 million gallons!

Every time I pass it, I think it would make a really swell dwelling with
just a few additions: Elevator, windows, gun ports, etc.

Here's what it looks like:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...D40 %26um%3D1