Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

Default cover treated lumber with tar?

On Jul 17, 11:00*pm, Some Guy wrote:

Creosote, and most tar related products, are now restricted use
pesticides. *You have to be licensed to buy and use it.

I bought a 5-gallon drum of the stuff about 7 or 8 years ago from a farm
supply place (TSC - Tractor Supply). *I'd imagine that it's still
available - if only at farm supply stores.

Many farmers have restricted use licenses in order to buy & apply
chemicals to their ag products, so restricted use chemicals are out
there. However the business can be fined & lose their business
license if they sell to Joe Public. All sales have to be recorded.
All applications have to be recorded also and are subject to state &
federal review. I have a license and have to renew it every few
years.

The current list of EPA restricted use pesticides include coal tar,
coal tar creosote, creosote oil, and creosote solutions, because of
possible oncogenic and mutagenic effects.