Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brick has lost facing

In article ,
JohnW writes:
Next door was struck by lightning yesterday and the resultant chimney
stack explosion has propelled bricks onto my house and chipped a
couple of the bricks. Obviously changing them is a non starter as the
resultant finish would be worse than they are now, but I am concerned
about the lack of protection the brick face now has. Do I just leave
them or would applying a bit of transparent sealer prevent any future
spalling? The chips are about 10-15mm deep and about 75mm diameter.

I have resolved surface damage by cutting out bricks (drilling out the
mortar) and refitting them the other way around. Obviously, that requires
that the other side is the same, which sometimes isn't the case with
facing bricks.

Out of interest,
Where you there when it happened?
What's the state of their house now?