Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Midland FRS / GMRS walkie talkie base

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
All kinds of neat features like hand held microphone, and
light and so on. AM, FM, weather band.

http://tinyurl.com/luvuh8

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=390928

When these come down in price a bit, I may buy one. The
idiots that designed it. The backup battery are three AA
cells.

It also has a 12 volt "charging adaptor." Plug it into you car

That's stupid, they shoulda been D cells. It's a base
radio., after all. Base radio can take some weight.

Three "D" cells would almost double the weight and size.

My problem with the unit is the same with all FRS readios: the antenna is
part of the "box."

That's a legal requirement from the FCC.

The GMRS permits a separate antenna but a combo GMRS/FRS unit has to have
the permanently attached antenna.

What's the difference? Well a separate antenna can be placed at a higher
elevation.