Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default timber sizes / joist hangers

I've never got the hang of when timber is going to be the size you ask
for and when it will be smaller, due to the method of sizing the
unfinished product. And it seems to vary around the UK. This never
mattered before.
Now, I have on my plans, sizes like 75mm x 225mm joists to fit into
matching joist hangers, and all the fittings should be tight. I will
order the timber from a proper merchants, since some is graded C24
etc, and must not warp.
So if I order 75mm wide joist hangers will the inside measurement be
exactly that ?
Assuming it is, I need timber that is exactly 75mm wide. However, a
lot of timber is regularized and rounded on the corners, and is
probably smaller than the size you ask for.
What should I ask for to a) not look like an arse (no comments ...),
and b) get the finished sizes I need ?
In the Midlands.
Cheers,
Simon.