Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions for alternative well water treatment?

"High Miles" wrote in message
bobmct wrote:
Living in east central CT I have both a deep well and a septic system.
Many decades ago I had my water analyzed which showed considerable
levels of iron in it. As a result I had installed an "exchange tank"
that each month has to have a vendor come in and exchange the tank
with another containing new chemicals. I am assuming the chemicals
might be a salt based substance (just a guess).

The cost of this service has gone up and up over the past decades to
the point where I am looking for an alternative that "might" be less
dependent on an outside vendor and hopefully less expensive to
support. BTW - I also have a whole house odor filter that I replace
every couple of months.

From those of you with similar water issues, what have you done to
solve the iron and/or odor problems on your systems? Remember, I
believe I'm not supposed to backwash a treatment/softener system into
the septic (so I'm told).

All suggestions/recommendations/ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Bob

I have a deep well in Illinois that produces more iron than a small mine.
For fifty years, a regular water softener - self serviced - with
addition
of block or pellet salt, and the ubiquitous rust filter with changeable
filters is all that it takes.
The hot water still stinks.
Also, only the toilet goes into the septic tank and field.
All other waste goes into a home made grease trap and then into
an entirely separate field of drain tiles.
My Pop figured out that setup sixty years ago and it has proven
to be a wise way to go.
That said, everyone else in the area runs the softener backwash
right down the laundry sink drain - or what ever, and directly
into their septic tanks.
No problems that I've heard of, but it does dump a lot of excess
water into the fields. especially in wet weather.

Dorothy

I have ALOT of iron in my water and have the regular treatment/softener
system that uses salt with iron out and it backwashes into the septic...Here
in Maine grey water systems are illegal and everything has to go into the
septic...No problems....