Posted to alt.home.repair
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions for alternative well water treatment?

"bobmct" wrote in message
Living in east central CT I have both a deep well and a septic system.
Many decades ago I had my water analyzed which showed considerable
levels of iron in it. As a result I had installed an "exchange tank"
that each month has to have a vendor come in and exchange the tank
with another containing new chemicals. I am assuming the chemicals
might be a salt based substance (just a guess).

The cost of this service has gone up and up over the past decades to
the point where I am looking for an alternative that "might" be less
dependent on an outside vendor and hopefully less expensive to
support. BTW - I also have a whole house odor filter that I replace
every couple of months.

From those of you with similar water issues, what have you done to
solve the iron and/or odor problems on your systems? Remember, I
believe I'm not supposed to backwash a treatment/softener system into
the septic (so I'm told).

All suggestions/recommendations/ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Bob

When I was doing appliance repair at farm homes that had a lot of iron in
their water, I would find dishwashers that were turned dark brown inside. A
cycle run through with a couple ounces of Oxalic acid crystals would bring
back the white interior. Then run one more cycle with the electric
dishwashing detergent. You can find this acid crystals at some hardware or
garden centers. ww