Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Fixing an Abandoned, but New Mower

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 7/16/2009 10:04 AM (ET) Commish wrote the following:
OK, the mower. The neighbor across the street moved and left his mower
with other neighbor across the street. It's a nice walk behind mower
with multiple walking speeds. Neighbor offered the mower to me while I
find the time to repair the broken drive belt on my old/current mower.
(Walk behind mowers are not meant to be pushed once the walk behind
function fails.)

OK, about the new, loaner mower. Neighbor 1 had a lawn service and
after buying a new mower and using it once or twice... it was retired
- several summers ago. And has spent several years in his shed. It
looks practically, brand new.

So, of course, it won't start, we put in fuel - of course. And I
pulled the starter. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter. Plenty of oil.
Nice clean looking oil I might add. So, I replaced the spark plug and
pulled again. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter.

So, what do I need to do to try and get this engine to turn over? If
the mower was stored with fuel, which has evaporated, how do I clean
out the evaporated, gummed up fuel. New fuel lines? New fuel filter?

I'm thinking that replacing the drive belt may be the easier fix....

Try a spray of Starter Fluid in the air intake.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Agree on the starter fluid...Clean the air filter and check the gap on the
new plug as well...I wouldn't put to much money in it...You can get a new
one for 200 bucks...Less for a used one from a small engine repair guy...On
second thought give it to the small engine repair guy and he will sell it
back to you for 100 bucks all running...LOL...JMHO....