Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Bisquit Jointer vs Dowel Pro Jig

MikeWhy wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:

Loose tenons in turn are slightly, but consistently and measurably
weaker than real tenons.

In all published tests I've seen there is usually less than 1%
difference in measured strength between the two, which, and depending
upon the project, makes for a favorable comparison when taking into
account other factors like convenience and speed, particularly when
doing "production runs" in a small shop setting.

The specific reference was to the recent FWW article, apparently not on
your reading list. That's almost ironic, thinking back to our past
conversations. Come to think of it, I don't particularly recall *where*
I read it. The test featured dovetails, M&T, biscuits, and loose tenons.
I'm pretty sure it was FWW, probably December or January.

Repeatable 1% variation even between two joints of the same type would
be something to really crow about. If you can find a credible cite for
1% variability from M&T to loose tenon, I'll eat this keyboard I'm
typing this on, every last sharp, broken shard of it, including the lead
contents of its electronics. You wouldn't by chance care to restate what
you wrote? I'm sure I read it wrong.

OK, let's take your particular "specific reference" then, where the
strength differential is less than 3% ... doing NOTHING whatsoever to
change the thrust/point of my statement.

And check those panties, Bubba ... untwisted, they'll improve your
attitude/demeanor by at least that much.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08