Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Removing screws?

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-07-16, cavelamb wrote:
I'm trying to remove a hatch to replace the acrylic cover.

Stainless steel screws through aluminum frame - 18 years old.

I haven't stripped any heads - yet. But these boogers ain't
coming out...

The only thing I know how to do at this point is to drill the
heads off and try to pull them like wisdom teeth (vice grips!)

So I am VERY open to suggestions for a non-destructive technique.

How big are the screws?

What kind of heads?

One possibility is a hammer-driven impact driver, where the
hammer's force makes sure that the bit is firmly into the screw at the
peak of torque.

Perhaps heat on the screw heads before you try this? A propane
or MAAP torch? Don't hold the MAAP too long, or you might start melting
the aluminum. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

Since the hatch was made in england, I suspect they are metric.
Haven't checked yet. They look like #8 countersunk phillips about 1/4"
or maybe 5/16" long.