Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:59:33 -0500, HeyBub
wrote:

Water-softener lines should NOT run to the ice-maker. Softened water
is an ice-maker killer. De-ionized is okay.

I live where the city water is nasty canal water and I use a line from
the undersink RO purifier for ice. Works great. Neighbor has a whole
house water softener as do two of my relatives. Obviously their ice
makers work just fine. Do you have some confused notion that water
softeners add salt to the water output? They don't. The salt is only
used to recharge the purification rods/beads.

I was wrong about soft-water / ice-maker. Soft water does make better ice
and is easier on the ice-maker.

I'm not confused about salt, although many others are. People on a low-salt
diet are really supposed to be on a low-SODIUM diet. Water softeners
exchange Sodium ions for Magnesium (and other) ions, so people on a low or
salt-free diet are really getting MORE Sodium than without using a softener.

Now the facts are these. Sodium or salt does not CAUSE hypertension, it
merely aggravates the condition. About six percent of the population has
hypertension and about half of those have the kind that doesn't take kindly
to salt.

Bottom line: 97% of the population can use as much salt as they want with NO
adverse health problems. Several studies have been done where test subjects
ingested up to 25 GRAMS of salt per day for extended periods with no adverse
effects. Anyone who's ever eaten in a military mess hall can verify this.