Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Fixing an Abandoned, but New Mower

On Jul 16, 10:04�am, Commish wrote:
OK, the mower. The neighbor across the street moved and left his mower
with other neighbor across the street. It's a nice walk behind mower
with multiple walking speeds. Neighbor offered the mower to me while I
find the time to repair the broken drive belt on my old/current mower.
(Walk behind mowers are not meant to be pushed once the walk behind
function fails.)

OK, about the new, loaner mower. Neighbor 1 had a lawn service and
after buying a new mower and using it once or twice... it was retired
- several summers ago. And has spent several years in his shed. It
looks practically, brand new.

So, of course, it won't start, we put in fuel - of course. And I
pulled the starter. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter. Plenty of oil.
Nice clean looking oil I might add. So, I replaced the spark plug and
pulled again. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter.

So, what do I need to do to try and get this engine to turn over? If
the mower was stored with fuel, which has evaporated, how do I clean
out the evaporated, gummed up fuel. New fuel lines? New fuel filter?

I'm thinking that replacing the drive belt may be the easier fix....

99.999% of the time it is a clogged up carb. Get the carb cleaned by a
professional. If you try it yourself, you'll only wish you took it to
a professional later. They will do a thorough cleaning of the fuel
system and you're problem will be solved for many years.Probably
around $50

Hank ~~~professional small engine mech.