Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
puttguider puttguider is offline

Default Cleaning stainless steel

puttguider had written this in response to
http://rittercnc.com/metalworking/Re...el-190023-.htm
:
Have you tried quickleen-s from www.steelcleaner.com said to be ten times
better that barkeeper fried.
keep it clean
-------------------------------------
Erik wrote:

In article ,
"catguy"
wrote:

"Frank Warner" wrote
in message
. ..
I'm sure there have been numerous posts here about cleaning
stainless
steel, but I want to share my experience anyway.

Snip good story

Lo and behold, to my astonishment, the first application of
Bar
Keeper's Friend cut about half the black buildup off the pan.
I applied
some more, making a nice thick paste and letting it sit for a
few
minutes. With only minimal rubbing with Scotch-Brite, the
rest of the
pan came spotlessly clean. I was freaking amazed.

What is IN this stuff? Should you be using it with bare
hands? Should
you be using it around food at all? If it can do THAT to a
baked on
mess like I had, what can it do to things you (presumably)
want to
keep?

Anyhoo, that's my story. I'm sticking to it, and I'm keeping
a can of
this stuff in my cleaning cupboard from now on.

-Frank

MSDS says it's oxalic acid.....Paul

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/BKF_MSDS_01_09.pdf

I 'discovered' Bar Keepers Friend about a year ago, and have also been
impressed with it's results.

Here's more on Oxalic Acid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalic_acid

I like to follow up BKF (and other cleanser) use with a plain
dishwashing detergent and water wash... just to be sure all traces are
gone. Probably overkill, but thats just me.

Also, whenever possible I try to avoid Scotch-Brite and similar
products
in the kitchen... they're very abrasive. (Especially to glass!)

Erik

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 167249 messages and counting!